LARRY WILSON = STRANGE IDEAS ON THE ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Adventist of Tomorrow » Doctrinal Discussions » Prophecy, End Time Events » LARRY WILSON = STRANGE IDEAS ON THE 7 TRUMPETS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stan McCluskey (Stanm)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Church member asked me to find info on a LARRY WILSON who now has a major influence on his son.
I had never heard of this man, but now find that he is a former SDA and former SDA pastor who still holds to most of the basic SDA doctrines, but is WAY OFF ON PROPHETIC INTERPRETATIONS - INCLUDING TIME-SETTING FOR FINAL EVENTS.

He predicted major end-time events would start in 1994, then 1998, and now sometime before 2017.

He predicts "a crisis 'one-world' government will form within 60 days" of the start of this worldwide crisis. "During this crisis, God will empower 144,000 spokespersons to speak for Him." They will be given God's tatoo "on the forehead."

He predicts that "God will inflict the Great tribulation consisting of 14 terrible judgments."

He predicts "Four earthquakes, occurring during a maximum period of 1,335 days, will violently rupture the whole earth and cause global crisis."

He predicts "Many volcano eruptions will darken the sky and cause violent weather patterns for months. There will be no rain for 1,260 days resulting in a great famine and plagues throughout the world."

He predicts "About two years into the Great Tribulation, most people will have made their decision about worshiping God."

He predicts "About two years into the Great Tribulation, the Antichrist (who, he says, is Lucifer) will appear" and "kill a third of mankind...He will insist that his followers wear an identifying tatoo...For ordinary people '666' will be tatooed on the right hand." Big shots will be "tatooed in their foreheads."

In other words, he takes PROPHETIC SYMBOLISM that SDAs and other HISTORICISTS have applied to past events and says, with evangelical FUTURISTS, that these prophecies will be LITERALLY FULFILLED IN THE NEAR FUTURE AND ACCORDING TO HIS DETERMINED TIME SCHEDULE.

PLEASE:
Do any of you know of other possible areas where he seems to deviate from basic SDA teachings and/or common sense?

Thanks,

Stan

J. R. Layman (Daneanderthal)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, good hearing from you Stan.....long time no see. Larry Wilson....nebber heard of him. Although from what you say, he sure sounds as if he and Vernon Howell (aka David Korish) have/had a lot in common!

Sorry to be of no help....but just wanted to welcome you aboard.

BTW, didn't the NUTS also come out of the woodwork, the night that "War of the Worlds" was acted out on radio, back in the 1930's?

Maggie Bockmann (Maggie)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan McCluskey--wow, I remember you from way back in the last century! Good to have you here!

I have a Larry Wilson book around here somewhere. If I can dig it out of the rubble, I'll take a look at it.

Maggie

Stan McCluskey (Stanm)

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the welcome. I wish this new Forum success and God's rich blessings. It's a convenient way to share our understandings and help us to grow intellectually and spiritually.

Stan

Maggie Bockmann (Maggie)

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope you stick around and help us behave, Stan--you are another Christian peacemaker gentleman, and there can't be too many of those anywhere!

:)

CJ Mason (Cjmason)

Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get the info you needed on LW?

Arthur D. Klym (Artklym)

Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan says that this Larry Wilson now predicts the major end time events sometime before 2017. Sounds like he is in now in the SDA mainstream or what I would guess it to be after years out of the SDA church.

In my years as an Adventist it always seemed to me that most people I talked to in the church believed that the Lord was returning sometime in the next five years. No one was willng to admit that it could be 100 years or more. In the SDA church I grew up in Wilson's prediction of "sometime before 2017" would seem to give the possibility of too much time.

Isn't this whole end time theology of Adventism one of its fatal flaws? How many thousands of believers have to die of old age before Adventists start to suspect that they may be wrong? Is that the reason that SDA preachers on 3ABN and in evangelistic crusades pound last day events? It must be absolutely necessary to whip up enthusiasm in each succeeding generation for the soon return. It is always just around the corner and if you are not ready, then its the giant barbecue for you.

It may be debatable and an overstatement, but I recall once reading a statement that one can tell a lot about the heart of a group by studying its fringe elements. Guys like Wilson and Koresh could not exist within Adventism if there wasn't a theology that encouraged weird speculations. Adventism was born on wild speculation and is nourished by it. It is the same reason that weird polygamy groups exist in the fringes of Mormonism.

Denise Gilmore (Denise)

Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, personally I'd hope for Jesus' Second Coming to be soon! That is my HOPE. And none of us know 'when' that will be, but Jesus did tell us what to watch for in the end times. And yes I know that in every generation people have thought He was coming during their lifetimes and obviously He didn't. Still this isn't going to steal my HOPE that He come during my lifetime.

No, I am not a Seventh Day Adventist. I'm a Christian with no denominational ties.

Now, you can call me a 'fringe' believer or a 'fanatic,' but to be honest, I'm not aware of a whole lot of Christians that do not have this same Hope. But most certainly there are many scoffers in this world.

Denise Gilmore

Maggie Bockmann (Maggie)

Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In other words, he takes PROPHETIC SYMBOLISM that SDAs and other HISTORICISTS have applied to past events and says, with evangelical FUTURISTS, that these prophecies will be LITERALLY FULFILLED IN THE NEAR FUTURE AND ACCORDING TO HIS DETERMINED TIME SCHEDULE.
--Stan McCluskey (first post on this thread)
I just espied my copy of Questions on Revelation by Larry Wilson, given to me years ago, and it fell open to the following:

Quote:

Corporate Probation Ends

Notice the five-step sequence of events described in Revelation 8:2-7:

1. And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets.

2. Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel's hand.

3. Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

4. Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

5. Then, the first angel sounds his trumpet, etc.

The Adventist Church does not see a sequence of events in this selection of texts.

The Church teaches that the casting down of the censer is the close of probation. Uriah Smith wrote in 1870, "This symbolic act can have its application only at the time when the ministration of Christ in the sanctuary in behalf of mankind has forever ceased." Daniel and Revelation p. 474

But, two pages later, Smith says the first trumpet sounded about 1,600 years ago, around A.D 400 (Ibid., 476)

But, look at the five-step sequence again. There is an unmistakable order of events. How can the casting down of the censer be a future close of probation and the first trumpet occur in the past?

Was Revelation written in random order?

(...)

I suspect that many Adventists have accepted Uriah Smith's view of Revelation because they have been led to believe that Ellen White confirmed his prophetic conclusions...

I do not find that Revelation was written in random order. On the contrary, I find that Daniel and Revelation follow a very clear, well-defined behavior.

Neither do I find that Ellen White confirmed very much of the content in Uriah Smith's Thoughts on Daniel and Revelation. If she did, where is the evidence to support the claim? It should be easy to produce because there is written evidence specifically confirming the validity of the seventh-day Sabbath and termination of the 2,300 days in 1844. (Early Writings, p. 63)

But, where is Ellen White's confirmation of Smith's view on the seven trumpets? Where is Ellen White's view confirming Smith's view of the seven seals?

In fact, Ellen White says nothing about the first five trumpets or the first four seals in all of her writngs.

She says nothing about large segments of Daniel and Revelation.

--Larry Wilson, Questions on Revelation pp. 96-98
I report, you decide.

Maggie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration